Sunday, November 22, 2009

The birth of TLC's "Tips & Tricks"

Not my idea originally, but spawned from comment a few volunteers have made...  How much they have learned from me as a volunteer... "We should really start writing these things down somewhere"... Hence the final birth of TLC's T&T... 

Why I do certain things, I do not know - they seem almost instinctual somehow... Many come from simply watching and observing dogs as they interact among other dogs... Others come from pulling dogs out of shelters (usually off the kill lists) and searching for the 'hot buttons' and clues that will help me help them towards a furever home... Finally, I give an infinite amount of credit to Cesar Millan for the work he has done as a Dog Whisperer... While I practice the 'take what you like and leave the rest' in his methods, his work has helped me look outside the box and pay more attention to the pack dynamics and use them as a rehabilitation tool... I have never had the need to 'pin' a Chihuahua to the ground as he's had to pin large Pitties and other breeds -- and we have a foster Chi right now with a pinched nerve in her neck, so I wonder how many of the general public have tried some of his methods needlessly -- but there is MUCH of what Cesar teaches that can be applied (and modified) to anyone's dog if you FIRST observe what's wrong and react to it LAST after careful analysis and observation...

If this helps just one Chihuahua, then the effort spent to start this archive is well worth the time and energy!

Live long and adopt ALWAYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment